A Judge’s Authority to Carry a Gun in Open Court
In this assignment, you will research and study the judicial authority and role of a judge to carry a gun in the courtroom. You will determine whether it is appropriate for a sitting judge, who is tasked to keep order, to have a gun in the courtroom for his or her protection where he or she has disallowed guns by others. Typically, bailiffs carry stun guns while in the courtroom and attorneys, witnesses, and spectators are not allowed to enter the courtroom with weapons.
Using the South University Online Library or the Internet, you will prepare a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation with a cover slide, a reference slide and a minimum of 5 slides that demonstrates your understanding of the power and authority of judges during courtroom proceedings. Your presentation should also include the following:
- Discuss whether the constitutional right to bear arms extends to the courtroom.
- Discuss whether you believe it is appropriate conduct for a judge to carry a gun in the courtroom versus other public places.
- Explain whether the integrity of the court is compromised.
- Discuss any safety concerns that may arise.
Support your responses with appropriate research, reasoning, and examples. Cite any sources in APA format.
- Submit your report as a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation that includes a cover slide, a reference slide and a minimum of 5 slides of content to the Submissions Area by the due date assigned.
- Name your presentation SU_CRJ2200_W4_A2_LastName_FirstInitial.ppt.
- Cite any sources using APA guidelines on a separate slide.