- The Employment at Will Doctrine
- Progressive Discipline
After reviewing the background reading, prepare a paper in which you
- Summarize the Employment at Will Doctrine and its exceptions (approximately ½ page), and answer the follow questions:
- Which of the exceptions to the Employment at Will Doctrine are most relevant to current HR practice and why?
- What is Progressive Discipline? Summarize the steps in Progressive Discipline and Progressive Discipline’s approach to employee discharge.
- How do the concepts and practices of employment at will and progressive discipline interact?
- How important are the employment at will doctrine and progressive discipline to realizing employee potential and maximizing organizational outcomes? Explain your answer.
Case Assignment Expectations
Your paper should be 3 to 4 pages (not including cover and reference page). Submit your assignment by the module due date.
Falcone, P. (2017) The Traditonal Progressive Discipline Paradigm. SHRM Retrieved from https://www.shrm.org/ResourcesAndTools/hr-topics/employee-relations/Pages/The-Traditional-Progressive-Discipline-Paradigm.aspx?utm_content=September+07%2C+2017&SPMID=00204702&SPJD=05%2F04%2F1999&SPED=09%2F30%2F2017&SPSEG=Core&spMailingID=30500978&spUs
Gordon, J. M. (2016). At will employment and state employment law. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v1WMyNDDMc. Standard YouTube License.
HR Specialist. (2016). Supervisors’ guide to progressive discipline. Employment Law. 46(10), 3. Available in the Trident Online Library.
HR Specialist. (2017, May). Patience makes discipline bullet-proof. Minnesota Employment Law, 10(5), 1-2. . Available in the Trident Online Library.
Lessack, S. (2015). 4 Principles for creating a progressive discipline system that works. New York Employment Law, 10 (3), 4. Available in the Trident Online Library.
Linderman, D. (2010, May 10). At-will employment—How does it apply to your business today? HR Exchange Network. Retrieved from https://www.hrexchangenetwork.com/employment-law/columns/at-will-employment-how-does-it-apply-to-your-busin. Access approved via faculty membership with