Public Speaking Template
Write a paper discussing the origins and impacts of Haitian Revolution, addressing all of the following items:
- Explain how the French Revolution and the ideas of the Enlightenment contributed to the Haitian Revolution.
- Compare the goals of the five different groups in Haiti pertaining to the Revolution.
- Analyze the success, impact, and legacy of the Haitian Revolution. (Consider the following questions when addressing this part of the assignment: What contributed to the success of the revolution? How did the Haitian Revolution impact the rest of the America? What are some of the legacies of the Haitian Revolution in Haiti today?)
This paper must be two to three pages in length (excluding title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA Style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Writing Center (Links to an external site.). You must begin your paper with an introduction that contains a succinct thesis statement that provides clear direction and purpose to the paper. You must use the four resources assigned below to support your claims. Cite your resources in text and on the reference page. For information regarding APA samples and tutorials, visit the Writing Center’s Introduction to APA (Links to an external site.) resource within the Learning Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar.
Your paper must be based on the following four sources, but you may also add scholarly secondary sources from the library.
First, in order to gain a better understanding of the Haitian Revolution, watch the following film and review the following timeline, and include them in your paper:
- PBS Egalite for All Toussaint Louverture and the Haitian Revolution (Links to an external site.)
- History of Haiti (Links to an external site.)
Second, to undertake the research for this assignment, review the following online exhibition, and read the following scholarly source.
- The Other Revolution: Haiti, 1789 – 1804 (Links to an external site.)
- The Haitian Revolution and the Notion of Human Rights
The Haitian Revolution paper
- Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Microsoft Word (Links to an external site.).
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a succinct thesis statement that provides clear direction and purpose to the paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) as well as Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the Writing Center resources.
- Must use the four assigned sources to support your claims.
- Must use at least one quotation from one of your sources.
- Must cite any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) guide.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Writing Center for specifications.